Beginning Bird Banding
June 23 - June 30$2835
Open to ages 18+, this seven-day introductory course is designed to provide both amateur birders and professional biologists with the skills necessary to participate in monitoring and research programs involving bird banding. Participants stay at the Wolf Ridge campus in Finland, MN. Lodging and meals included.
Skills taught include:
- Operation of mist-nets and safe extraction of birds
- Bird-handling skills
- In-hand aging and sexing techniques
- Scoring and recording data using MAPS protocol and forms
Lectures and discussions cover:
- Banding ethics
- Avian life histories, energetics, molts, and plumages
- The permitting process
- The role of banding in research and monitoring
For further details, see the Institute for Bird Populations website or contact instructor Danielle Kaschube.