Weekends at Wolf Ridge: All Things Agates
September 22 @ 3:00 p.m. - September 24 @ 2:00 p.m.$450
Spend a glorious fall weekend on the North Shore of Minnesota gaining hands-on experience and learning from experts in their field.
Workshops take place on the Wolf Ridge campus and surrounding areas, with lodging and meals provided. Whether you’re a seasoned naturalist or just a curious learner, the experience is designed for lifelong learners who have a passion for the natural world. Participants select a single workshop for the weekend but will have an opportunity to connect with other workshop groups during meals and evening programming.
Workshop: All Things Agates
We are so excited to share our love of agates with you during your Fall weekend at Wolf Ridge. We plan to teach you about the many different kinds of agates found on our near the shores of Lake Superior. Have you heard of Eye Agates? Skip-an-Atom Agates? How about Water Level or Paint Agates? (plus so many more!)
We will discuss how agates are formed (some facts and some theories), how to find them and what to do with them when you get them home. We will start tumbling some raw agates at our first session and see what kind of change we see at our last.
We will take a field trip to see what we can find, either to the beach or to a rock pit and sharing our collections with you. We may even do a little agate crafting, so bring your agates, hiking shoes, stories, and questions. A painting shirt is needed for our first day session.
Join us for a wonderful fall weekend at Wolf Ridge and the opportunity to meet you and our fellow agate enthusiasts!
Instructors: Ben and Tamber Weller
Both Ben and Tamber are lifelong artists who have turned their focus to agates. Tamber sells her ‘painted’ agates at Joy & Co in Grand Marais. Both have immersed themselves in the agate community in Minnesota and beyond, and are excited to share their love and knowledge of agates to anyone is is interested in learning more.
Weekend Workshop Schedule
Friday, Sep 22, 2023
- 3:00 – 4:45 pm — Registration and check-in at the Wolf Ridge office
- 4:00 – 4:45 pm — Tour of the Margaret A. Cargill (MAC) Lodge
- 5:15 pm — Dinner
- 6:00 – 6:30 pm — Orientation in MAC Lodge Weesner Commons
- 7:00 – 9:00 pm — 1st learning session
- 10 pm — Quiet time
Saturday, Sep 23, 2023
- 7:30 am — Breakfast
- 8:30-10:00 am — Continental breakfast for Owl Workshop
- 8:30-11:30 am — 2nd learning session
- 12:15 pm — Lunch and bag lunch
- 1:00 -2:00 pm – Naturalist program
- 1:30 – 4:30 pm — 3rd learning session
- 5:15 pm — Dinner
- 6:30 – 7:15 pm — Evening presentation
- 7:30 – 9:30 pm — Social hour & campfire
- 10:00 pm — Quiet time
Sunday, Oct 2, 2022
- 7:30 am — Breakfast
- 8:30-10:00 am — Continental breakfast for Owl workshop
- *check out of rooms by 10:00 am
- 8:30-11:30 am —4th learning session
- 12:15 pm — Lunch & check-out
- 12:30 – Owl workshop ends
- 12:30-1:30 pm — Optional: Use of designed rooms to shower before leaving
- 1:00-2:00 pm – Naturalist program
On Friday afternoon before registration or on Sunday afternoon you’re welcome to hike our trails and enjoy the fall colors.
You should plan to venture out in rain or shine and the instructors may follow up with more information on specific details about your workshop if applicable. You can expect nighttime temperatures to range from 25°F to 50°F and daytime temperatures up to 65°F. Please be prepared so you can feel comfortable if it is cool or rainy. Most of the walking you will do is on nice graveled trails, but some trails are rugged. Photography will be a common thread throughout the weekend so we encourage you to bring a camera. If you do not own a digital camera, we can loan you one for the weekend.
- Rain suit with pants and hood
- Walking or hiking shoes
- Warm jacket
- Sweater or fleece
- Warm hat
- Light shirts
- Light pants
- Wool Socks (recommended for hiking)
- Soap, shampoo, other toiletries
- Personal water bottle
- Sunscreen, sun hat
- Knee-high rubber boots
- Non-aerosol insect repellent
- Alarm clock
- Small backpack for day use
- Snacks (space available in group refrigerator)
Wolf Ridge will provide linens, blankets, towels, and a pillow.