4th Grade to Adult
What values do plants hold?
Students will explore the values of plants with a focus on edible plants. As a group we will explore what components make up a forest and how to accurately identify plants. Students will then practice their observation and identification through harvesting edible plants and discussing the ecologic and human value of plants.
- There are many components that make up a forest community.
- Plant identification involves careful observation and patience.
- Plants have many ecologic and human values.
- Identify components of a forest (eight groups of forest/plant communities).
- Discuss historic and modern uses of plants.
- Observe and identify plants to consume.
- Gain a more intimate connection to their natural world – “I find value in preserving the woods because I practiced observing and appreciating the plants.