4th Grade to Adult
What tools and techniques help us discover and identify the major trees at Wolf Ridge?
Students will learn how to construct and use a simple dichotomous identification key. Given a map and a simplified tree and shrub key, students will travel between trees and attempt to identify them correctly. Temperate and tropical forests will be compared and students will learn about species diversity.
- A growing human population is making increasing demands on natural resources.
- Humans have a great ability to alter natural systems, and a responsibility to consider the effects of our actions.
- A complex natural system is more stable than a simple one, and more able to absorb disturbances.
- Construct, understand and use a simple dichotomous key to identify up to 18 trees and shrubs around Wolf Ridge.
- Evaluate their role in the stewardship of natural resources.
- Appreciate the plant diversity found in the forests of Wolf Ridge.