4th Grade to Adult
Learn the skill of making rope and tying knots for use in outdoor recreation and living.
Students will investigate how to make ropes and tie useful knots for their outdoor pursuits. The class will explore the history of rope making and the materials used in rope making. Then students will create rope using hand winders in small groups. Afterward, they will use the rope they create to learn to tie basic knots.
- Human cultures worldwide have used plant and animal material to create ropes and systems for tying things together
- A simple rope can be created by twisting twine and using a rope winder
- Knots are useful in daily life and outdoor recreation, knowing knots for different situations is an enjoyable and technical skill
- List situations in which rope and knots are useful or essential.
- Create rope using a twist and wrap method.
- Complete overhand knot, slip knot, square knot, bowline, clove hitch, and taut-line hitch.