4th Grade to Adult
To go geocaching, combining navigational technology with exploring in nature.
Students will get a look of how far navigational technology has come. They will learn the basic concepts behind GPS technology and how it works. Each pair of students will be given a Garmin eTrex Touch 35 GPS to practice entering and finding waypoints. Once the basics are mastered, the fun will begin. Students will practice a few basic points before taking on the full GPS course and exploring the woods of Wolf Ridge for hidden clues.
- Technology can help us explore, discover, and communicate about our environment.
- Global Positioning Systems (GPS) depend on sending and receiving satellite signals and on the people who use them.
- Challenges provide opportunities for learning and growth.
- Observation, communication and teamwork are valuable skills that improve with practice and patience.
- Work cooperatively with a partner to navigate with a GPS to locate waypoints.
- Understand how the advancement of technology has contributed to society.
- Understand how a Garmin eTrex Touch 35 GPS receiver functions to navigate its screens in order to mark and find waypoints.