4th Grade to Adult
What tools and techniques help us discover the story of birds here and now?
With an emphasis on field observation, we will study the amazing diversity of birds. Students will investigate different bird habitats using binoculars and digital bird identification guides provided. Migration and other bird lifestyles are explored through games and directed observation. Wolf Ridge’s ambassador chicken, Chickadee Landing and/or bird banding give students a chance to encounter live birds close-up. We take advantage of seasonal variation in bird activity so focus on migration, winter flocks, or nest-building. The main goal of the class is to help students feel comfortable with the skill of bird watching, so they can better appreciate the role of birds in the ecosystem.
- Observing birds is a fun & life time activity.
- Observing birds can provide answers about the natural history of birds and the broader ecology they are a part of.
- Physical tools and observation techniques increase the effectiveness of bird observations.
- Bird diversity & health depends on the health and integrity of the habitat they live in.
- Birds provide an accessible way to observe physical and behavioral adaptations.
- Show willingness and interest in observing birds at home.
- Seek out answers to questions through investigative observation.
- Demonstrate proficiency with a digital bird field guide and binoculars.
- Demonstrate good observational techniques.
- List ways people influence bird populations.
- Describe adaptations that make birds unique.