Earth & Physical Sciences
| 4th Grade - Adult
| Half Day 3 hrs
After learning some of the historic changes in earth’s climate, students will collect data on today’s weather, then do demonstrations to understand cloud formation and low pressure systems. An outdoor game will explain the jet stream and its effect. Finally, students will use their new knowledge to create a forecast for the next day at Wolf Ridge.
Upon completion of the Weather Forecasting class, students will be able to:
- Predict the chance of rain and the trend in temperature for the next 12 hours, using wind direction.
- Interpret the chance of storms in the next 24 hours based upon a surface weather map from a TV or newspaper.
- Evaluate a newspaper article on climate change.
- Explain how low-pressure systems follow the jet stream and bring storms.
- Understand that winds, clouds, precipitation occur when warm and cold air collides with one another.