Seeds of Change
| 4th Grade - Adult
| Half Day 3 hrs
This class traces the steps our food takes from the farmer’s field to the your dinner plate. Students will sample seeds, learn the history of them and discover the difference between heirloom, hybrid and genetically engineered seeds. Grinding grains, baking cornbread and playing games will give the students a perspective on the different methods of farming and the implications of our global farming system.
Upon completion of the Seeds of Change class, students will be able to:
- Identify the many roles and importance of seeds in our society, past and present.
- Briefly describe the history of seeds as it pertains to human culture.
- Define hybrid, heirloom and genetically engineered seeds.
- Examine their food purchasing habits and suggest possible environmental and personal health impacts of their choices.
- Describe several methods of farming and the impact each has on the environment.
- Recommend actions necessary in creating a sustainable food system.